One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Dismiss something as unnecessary or irrelevant.‘he waved the objection aside and carried on’
dismiss, reject, brush aside, put aside, set aside, shrug off, disregard, ignore, spurn, rebuff, discount, repudiate, put out of one's mind, play down, treat with contemptView synonyms
- ‘He had been begging her to let him call a doctor for the past few days, but she just kept waving his concerns aside.’
- ‘‘Whatever,’ Juliet said, waving their comments aside.’
- ‘With a shake of his head, Joe waved the statement aside.’
- ‘He'd waved them aside with the excuse that he must have caught a bug.’
- ‘He waved it aside, and looked back to the screen.’
- ‘She waved it aside, sending him an assuring smile.’
- ‘But I waved the thought aside, resolute in my decision.’
- ‘The man himself is, however, quick to wave the formalities aside.’
- ‘Johnny waved the question aside with a graceful sweep of his hand, as though all was forgiven.’
- ‘William was about to speak again, but the old man waved his efforts aside.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.