One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A measure of electrical energy equivalent to a power consumption of one watt for one hour.
- ‘That means that a AA battery can produce 2.8 amps for an hour at 1.5 volts (about 4.2 watt-hours - a AA battery can light a 4-watt bulb for a little more than an hour).’
- ‘He lent me a digital power meter that measures both demand in watts and cumulative energy consumption in watt-hours.’
- ‘Approximately two shot glasses of ethanol could yield enough hydrogen to generate 350 watt-hours of electricity, enough to power half a dozen 60-watt lightbulbs for an hour.’
- ‘Since early September, however, the amount of electricity from Opportunity's solar panels has increased markedly - and unexpectedly - to more than 700 watt-hours per day at times, a level not seen since the first 10 weeks of the mission.’
- ‘That caused the rover's average solar energy to spike up 720 watt-hours, not much below the power level she had shortly after landing nearly two Earth years ago.’
- ‘Just last June, he threw his first bash celebrating his solar electric system's generation of more than 10 million watt-hours of sun-powered energy.’
- ‘The Prius is peppy enough, and the car's video game-like display encourages you to drive with a light foot, rewarding you with a green leaf symbol for every 50 watt-hours of electricity you regenerate during braking and coasting.’
- ‘A typical lithium-ion battery inside of a laptop generates about 275 to 285 watt-hours per liter of material.’
- ‘Reusing paper saves the energy used to make new paper (an average of 15 watt-hours of energy is used to produce a single sheet of paper), and it saves you the money of purchasing it.’
- ‘With the cost of the Kyoto Protocol looming large on the horizon, every watt-hour we save represents fewer carbon-credits we need to purchase.’
- ‘Every watt-hour you can save is heat that the customer doesn't have to deal with.’
- ‘We'll skip over the explanation that energy output ought to be expressed as watt-hours or BTUs per hour, but never is.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.