Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of a pair of skis enabling the wearer to skim the surface of the water when towed by a motor boat.
- ‘The yacht is a perfect platform for water sports such as scuba diving, and is equipped with windsurfers, waterskis and snorkels.’
- ‘Boats, canoes, jetties, fishing rods and forgotten waterskis are among items recovered and sometimes reclaimed by owners, but the other day I found a tennis racquet.’
- ‘The owner also had an ancient pair of waterskis, and I just thought, what the heck.’
- ‘Waterskiers pay 45 for one pair of waterskis.’
- ‘The more adventurous could, possibly, take some waterskis.’
Skim the surface of water on waterskis.‘off the beach you can paraglide, jet ski or waterski’
- ‘Today was the day for swimming, tubing, and waterskiing at a nearby lake.’
- ‘We like to entertain, waterski, or sometimes just float for a while in an isolated cove.’
- ‘He's relaxed, tan and advocating the benefits of waterskiing on Florida's Lake Magdalene at the age of 62.’
- ‘Whether they want to lounge around in the sun, sip vanilla tea, or get into snorkelling, waterskiing or sea-kayaking, this couple will be able to really unwind here and get into a different way of life.’
- ‘This summer, I learned how to waterski and stuff like that.’
- ‘Among the winners were some who are involved in lesser-profiled sports, including canoe polo, ice skating, trampolining, and even bare-foot waterskiing.’
- ‘Mountain-biking, horse-riding and waterskiing can be arranged, and you can swim in either the pool or the reservoir.’
- ‘And there is every incentive for her - rumour has it that waterskiing will make its Olympic debut at the 2004 games in Athens.’
- ‘His childhood gave him a taste for skiing, waterskiing and fishing and homemade wine, as well as music.’
- ‘This seemingly endless waterway offers something for everyone - fishing, waterskiing, wind surfing, swimming, and jet-skiing abound.’
- ‘I was able to waterski and to ski and I'm very glad I've had that opportunity.’
- ‘The whole family is looking forward to a lot of awesome flying, as well as waterskiing on the huge Murray river.’
- ‘The island of Grand Bahama offers a wide range of watersports including waterskiing, sailing and windsurfing.’
- ‘He launched into a long and daring tale of waterskiing - in February - and doing triple flips.’
- ‘Cruising and fishing are fine, but it's hard to waterski offshore, and there are limited areas to raft up.’
- ‘Hailing from land-locked Denver, CO, my time on water had been limited to the local swimming pool and waterskiing on mountain lakes.’
- ‘Fishing, waterskiing, windsurfing, boat races and swimming are also favorite activities.’
- ‘A traditional hull form might be okay for fishing but certainly not waterskiing.’
- ‘She worked overseas for three years, teaching windsurfing and waterskiing in America, and learning to scuba dive in Fiji.’
- ‘There are other beaches, of course, and water sports from swimming and sunbathing to waterskiing and scuba diving.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.