Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of a pair of skis enabling the wearer to skim the surface of the water when towed by a motor boat.
- ‘Boats, canoes, jetties, fishing rods and forgotten waterskis are among items recovered and sometimes reclaimed by owners, but the other day I found a tennis racquet.’
- ‘Waterskiers pay 45 for one pair of waterskis.’
- ‘The yacht is a perfect platform for water sports such as scuba diving, and is equipped with windsurfers, waterskis and snorkels.’
- ‘The owner also had an ancient pair of waterskis, and I just thought, what the heck.’
- ‘The more adventurous could, possibly, take some waterskis.’
Skim the surface of water on waterskis:‘off the beach you can paraglide, jet ski or waterski’
- ‘His childhood gave him a taste for skiing, waterskiing and fishing and homemade wine, as well as music.’
- ‘I was able to waterski and to ski and I'm very glad I've had that opportunity.’
- ‘A traditional hull form might be okay for fishing but certainly not waterskiing.’
- ‘And there is every incentive for her - rumour has it that waterskiing will make its Olympic debut at the 2004 games in Athens.’
- ‘Cruising and fishing are fine, but it's hard to waterski offshore, and there are limited areas to raft up.’
- ‘This summer, I learned how to waterski and stuff like that.’
- ‘The whole family is looking forward to a lot of awesome flying, as well as waterskiing on the huge Murray river.’
- ‘There are other beaches, of course, and water sports from swimming and sunbathing to waterskiing and scuba diving.’
- ‘The island of Grand Bahama offers a wide range of watersports including waterskiing, sailing and windsurfing.’
- ‘Whether they want to lounge around in the sun, sip vanilla tea, or get into snorkelling, waterskiing or sea-kayaking, this couple will be able to really unwind here and get into a different way of life.’
- ‘She worked overseas for three years, teaching windsurfing and waterskiing in America, and learning to scuba dive in Fiji.’
- ‘This seemingly endless waterway offers something for everyone - fishing, waterskiing, wind surfing, swimming, and jet-skiing abound.’
- ‘We like to entertain, waterski, or sometimes just float for a while in an isolated cove.’
- ‘He's relaxed, tan and advocating the benefits of waterskiing on Florida's Lake Magdalene at the age of 62.’
- ‘Today was the day for swimming, tubing, and waterskiing at a nearby lake.’
- ‘Among the winners were some who are involved in lesser-profiled sports, including canoe polo, ice skating, trampolining, and even bare-foot waterskiing.’
- ‘Hailing from land-locked Denver, CO, my time on water had been limited to the local swimming pool and waterskiing on mountain lakes.’
- ‘He launched into a long and daring tale of waterskiing - in February - and doing triple flips.’
- ‘Mountain-biking, horse-riding and waterskiing can be arranged, and you can swim in either the pool or the reservoir.’
- ‘Fishing, waterskiing, windsurfing, boat races and swimming are also favorite activities.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.