Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of a pair of skis enabling the wearer to skim the surface of the water when towed by a motor boat.→ ski
- ‘The yacht is a perfect platform for water sports such as scuba diving, and is equipped with windsurfers, waterskis and snorkels.’
- ‘The more adventurous could, possibly, take some waterskis.’
- ‘Waterskiers pay 45 for one pair of waterskis.’
- ‘The owner also had an ancient pair of waterskis, and I just thought, what the heck.’
- ‘Boats, canoes, jetties, fishing rods and forgotten waterskis are among items recovered and sometimes reclaimed by owners, but the other day I found a tennis racquet.’
Skim the surface of water on waterskis.‘off the beach you can paraglide, jet ski or waterski’
- ‘He launched into a long and daring tale of waterskiing - in February - and doing triple flips.’
- ‘Hailing from land-locked Denver, CO, my time on water had been limited to the local swimming pool and waterskiing on mountain lakes.’
- ‘I was able to waterski and to ski and I'm very glad I've had that opportunity.’
- ‘Whether they want to lounge around in the sun, sip vanilla tea, or get into snorkelling, waterskiing or sea-kayaking, this couple will be able to really unwind here and get into a different way of life.’
- ‘The island of Grand Bahama offers a wide range of watersports including waterskiing, sailing and windsurfing.’
- ‘His childhood gave him a taste for skiing, waterskiing and fishing and homemade wine, as well as music.’
- ‘She worked overseas for three years, teaching windsurfing and waterskiing in America, and learning to scuba dive in Fiji.’
- ‘And there is every incentive for her - rumour has it that waterskiing will make its Olympic debut at the 2004 games in Athens.’
- ‘The whole family is looking forward to a lot of awesome flying, as well as waterskiing on the huge Murray river.’
- ‘Cruising and fishing are fine, but it's hard to waterski offshore, and there are limited areas to raft up.’
- ‘Mountain-biking, horse-riding and waterskiing can be arranged, and you can swim in either the pool or the reservoir.’
- ‘Today was the day for swimming, tubing, and waterskiing at a nearby lake.’
- ‘A traditional hull form might be okay for fishing but certainly not waterskiing.’
- ‘We like to entertain, waterski, or sometimes just float for a while in an isolated cove.’
- ‘There are other beaches, of course, and water sports from swimming and sunbathing to waterskiing and scuba diving.’
- ‘This seemingly endless waterway offers something for everyone - fishing, waterskiing, wind surfing, swimming, and jet-skiing abound.’
- ‘He's relaxed, tan and advocating the benefits of waterskiing on Florida's Lake Magdalene at the age of 62.’
- ‘Among the winners were some who are involved in lesser-profiled sports, including canoe polo, ice skating, trampolining, and even bare-foot waterskiing.’
- ‘This summer, I learned how to waterski and stuff like that.’
- ‘Fishing, waterskiing, windsurfing, boat races and swimming are also favorite activities.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.