Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The horizontal plane which passes through a floating ship on a level with the waterline.[as modifier] ‘small waterplane area, twin hull’
- ‘The low waterplane area is desirable to reduce motion characteristics from waves, especially during swell seas and storms.’
- ‘Note also that all of the waterplanes presented are for a calm sea surface condition for simplicity.’
- ‘Well balanced waterplanes and a large rudder ensure continuing directional control at quite large angles of heel.’
- ‘The disturbance to proper waterplane shape is the cause of many speed and handling related problems.’
- ‘Ensuring this behavior is largely dependent on the designer having selected enough waterplane area.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.