Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The horizontal plane which passes through a floating ship on a level with the waterline.as modifier ‘small waterplane area, twin hull’
- ‘Ensuring this behavior is largely dependent on the designer having selected enough waterplane area.’
- ‘Note also that all of the waterplanes presented are for a calm sea surface condition for simplicity.’
- ‘The disturbance to proper waterplane shape is the cause of many speed and handling related problems.’
- ‘The low waterplane area is desirable to reduce motion characteristics from waves, especially during swell seas and storms.’
- ‘Well balanced waterplanes and a large rudder ensure continuing directional control at quite large angles of heel.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.