One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A watering hole.
watering hole, water hole, springView synonyms
- ‘Meanwhile, however, as they cleared the land and created and improved watering places for livestock, the settlers enabled the roos to multiply exponentially.’
- ‘The only way to develop an understanding of natural watering places - and a respect for their dangers - is to experience them.’
- ‘They drank at watering places, grazed or just stood in herds.’
- ‘For many centuries this was the last watering place for cattle and sheep being driven to York cattle market from as far away as Helmsley and was in use until the mid-20th century.’
- ‘They say that the site was probably a series of ponds used as a watering place by both Neanderthals and animals.’
- ‘In the 18th century it was an important watering place for cattle and horses along the busy London to Brighton Road.’
- ‘An open gutter through the middle of a field causes great waste of land but we must have watering places for the cattle.’
- ‘Environmental evidence suggests the site was once a series of ponds used as a watering place, although it is unclear whether the mammoths died of natural causes and were later scavenged, or were killed by Neanderthal hunters.’
- 1.1 A spa or seaside resort.‘people would go to fashionable watering places to drink the health-giving water’
holiday destination, holiday centre, tourist centre, centre, spot, retreat, hauntView synonyms
- ‘Three months later Jos duly dies at Aix-la-Chapelle, a watering place, whither he and Mrs Crawley have repaired in a vain attempt to recover his health.’
- ‘At Trouville, Boulogne, and other continental watering places, no such restrictions were placed upon bathers.’
- ‘Though other sources of healing hot mineral springs have been known throughout the world, Spa is the eponymous ‘spa’, an extended use from these famed hot springs - the town was frequented as a watering place as early as the 14th Century.’
- ‘Owing to the prosperity of the fishing business last season, and the notoriety which Cape Ann is gaining as a watering place, our little village has presented rather a thriving appearance this spring.’
- ‘It seems likely that there would have been similar baths at balaruc-les-bains, where the remains of a Roman structure have been found in this contemporary watering place.’
- ‘If the other watering places along the coast don't wire away at once for a professor to come down and make similar discoveries on their shoreways and in their spas they may just as well put their shutters up, he added.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.