One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A portable water container with a long spout and a detachable perforated cap, used for watering plants.
- ‘Add additional nutrients throughout the growing season by dissolving a water-soluble fertilizer in the watering can once every week or two.’
- ‘Once a fortnight add some soluble fertiliser or juice from your worm farm into the watering can to keep your plants at their peak.’
- ‘Never leave buckets or watering cans full of mixed chemicals’
- ‘Nearly anything that can hold soil can be turned into a container: classic stone urns, a wicker basket, an old wagon, buckets and tubs, leaky watering cans, a ceramic bowl or a tea cup.’
- ‘Sprinkle each layer with a watering can or garden hose as you construct the pile.’
- ‘Seek out unusual vessels, such as wall vases, old watering cans or window boxes to hold your favorite flora.’
- ‘The liquid can then be applied to all, including native plants, with a watering can.’
- ‘They are holding a fun day on August 31 at the company with a sale of waterbutts, composters, dustbins, watering cans and various other products to boost their fund.’
- ‘There was a long queue of people carrying various receptacles: plastic bottles, watering cans, jugs, pots, crates.’
- ‘Seasoned water has been in the watering can at least overnight so the chlorine has dissipated; it's not fresh from the faucet.’
- ‘We are asking people to be economical with their water, for example, by taking a shower instead of a bath and using a watering can in the garden rather than a hosepipe.’
- ‘Now the bench can store hoses as well as other watering tools, such as sprinklers or small watering cans.’
- ‘Look for objects such as watering cans old tools or flowerpots that you can dress up with lights flowers or greenery.’
- ‘Pouring water from one of those little plastic houseplant watering cans would be helpful for keeping water in track when rinsing.’
- ‘Then she drenches the pile with the solution using a hose-end sprayer or a watering can.’
- ‘People watching from their balconies clapped the demonstrators and poured watering cans, buckets and even hose pipes to cool down the cheering crowd.’
- ‘If you're going to plant directly in such items as watering cans, old boots, teapots or wheelbarrows consider drainage and air movement around the roots of the plants.’
- ‘With a narrow-nose watering can, irrigate just inside the pot rim, under plant leaves.’
- ‘Colanders, watering cans, and bath toys will all work.’
- ‘The tough restrictions, which come into effect at midnight next Saturday, bans town water for external use, preventing homeowners from even filling a watering can to water pot plants or the garden.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.