One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A portable water container with a long spout and a detachable perforated cap, used for watering plants.
- ‘There was a long queue of people carrying various receptacles: plastic bottles, watering cans, jugs, pots, crates.’
- ‘The tough restrictions, which come into effect at midnight next Saturday, bans town water for external use, preventing homeowners from even filling a watering can to water pot plants or the garden.’
- ‘Colanders, watering cans, and bath toys will all work.’
- ‘Nearly anything that can hold soil can be turned into a container: classic stone urns, a wicker basket, an old wagon, buckets and tubs, leaky watering cans, a ceramic bowl or a tea cup.’
- ‘Look for objects such as watering cans old tools or flowerpots that you can dress up with lights flowers or greenery.’
- ‘The liquid can then be applied to all, including native plants, with a watering can.’
- ‘Now the bench can store hoses as well as other watering tools, such as sprinklers or small watering cans.’
- ‘Seek out unusual vessels, such as wall vases, old watering cans or window boxes to hold your favorite flora.’
- ‘With a narrow-nose watering can, irrigate just inside the pot rim, under plant leaves.’
- ‘We are asking people to be economical with their water, for example, by taking a shower instead of a bath and using a watering can in the garden rather than a hosepipe.’
- ‘Pouring water from one of those little plastic houseplant watering cans would be helpful for keeping water in track when rinsing.’
- ‘Once a fortnight add some soluble fertiliser or juice from your worm farm into the watering can to keep your plants at their peak.’
- ‘Add additional nutrients throughout the growing season by dissolving a water-soluble fertilizer in the watering can once every week or two.’
- ‘Then she drenches the pile with the solution using a hose-end sprayer or a watering can.’
- ‘If you're going to plant directly in such items as watering cans, old boots, teapots or wheelbarrows consider drainage and air movement around the roots of the plants.’
- ‘People watching from their balconies clapped the demonstrators and poured watering cans, buckets and even hose pipes to cool down the cheering crowd.’
- ‘Sprinkle each layer with a watering can or garden hose as you construct the pile.’
- ‘Seasoned water has been in the watering can at least overnight so the chlorine has dissipated; it's not fresh from the faucet.’
- ‘Never leave buckets or watering cans full of mixed chemicals’
- ‘They are holding a fun day on August 31 at the company with a sale of waterbutts, composters, dustbins, watering cans and various other products to boost their fund.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.