Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The practice or activity of hunting waterfowl.
- ‘Trends in the '60s and '70s began to change the face of waterfowling.’
- ‘You can still buy into waterfowling for much less, a few hundred dollars, and entry-level shotguns are quite good.’
- ‘A pump shotgun just feels right for waterfowling.’
- ‘So in selecting a worthy companion for waterfowling, you will not go wrong in choosing a durable, modern 12 gauge with a 3-inch or preferably a 3 1/2-inch chamber.’
- ‘The youth-only waterfowl season is part of an effort to introduce young people into the recreation of waterfowling.’
- ‘I didn't comment that his gun was really designed for more static field activities like waterfowling and turkey hunting, but it got me thinking about gun weight and design and current ammunition offerings for upland game.’
- ‘This results in a high degree of surface hardness - hard enough that the integral chokes are rated ‘steel approved’ by the factory - although I don't think the 1620 is designed for or is going to be used for waterfowling.’
- ‘Oh, when I got seriously into waterfowling 35 years or so ago, all waders and hip boots were made of vulcanized rubber, and it was possible to get a perfectly serviceable ‘hot’ patch on a puncture.’
- ‘Possibly the best measure of the incredible amount of waterfowling that goes on in the Stuttgart area is the sale of shotgun shells.’
- ‘East Texas gets the best of it, and hunters with access to sloughs and river bottoms should reap some of the finest moments that waterfowling has to offer.’
- ‘Two common examples come to mind - big game hunting and waterfowling.’
- ‘The new gun loads look promising for upland game as well as for waterfowling and even target applications.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.