Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large African antelope occurring near rivers and lakes in the savannah.
- ‘In contrast, giraffe, waterbuck, kongoni, and zebra showed birth distributions very similar to that for percentage protein.’
- ‘Impala, waterbuck, kudu, bushbuck, warthog, zebra and giraffe all move to drier areas that still offer plenty of goodies to eat.’
- ‘Van Hoven said the animals, including roan antelope, eland, reedbuck, waterbuck and maybe even cheetah, will be taken from where they are captured by road to the Walvis Bay harbour in Namibia.’
- ‘We add the caveat, however, that the data on waterbuck are sparse and dates of birth are the least accurate of all the species.’
- ‘It has taken everything from Colorado mule deer to zebra, impala, gemsbok and waterbuck in Africa.’
- ‘Also on sale were Burchell's zebra, warthog, blue and black wildebeest, lechwe, waterbuck, eland, impala, bontebok, gemsbok, kudu, ostrich, red and blue hartebeest, blesbok, springbok, and mountain reedbuck.’
- ‘We are not buying up rare nyalas, impala and waterbuck.’
- ‘On the shores great herds of buffalo, waterbuck and impala grazed peacefully.’
- ‘This forces parched buffalo, waterbucks, and other lion prey to gather at one of the few remaining sources of water.’
- ‘On the small dambos and edges of floodplains reedbuck and puku graze on the short grass while shaggy-haired waterbuck pop up here and there in the most unlikely places.’
- ‘Other animals, such as waterbucks, kudus, warthogs, and baboons, drank from the same troughs.’
- ‘Other inhabitants of Selous are bush back, waterbuck, reedbuck, impala, eland, giraffe, baboon, zebra, and greater kudu.’
- ‘Whereas the goat, dog, cow, and cat are domesticated, the antelope, leopard, elephant, waterbuck, manatee, and hippopotamus must be hunted.’
- ‘In the dry season, July to November, the river is an excellent place for observing large numbers of game including lions, leopards, hunting dogs, giraffe, waterbuck, eland and warthogs.’
- ‘Visitors can accompany their Masai hosts on game drives to see hyenas, leopards, lions, and waterbuck.’
- ‘It is also a refuge for elephants, buffaloes, zebras, cheetahs, leopards, lions, waterbucks and impalas and it contains the only protected indigenous forest remaining in the area.’
- ‘And since it has more than two dozen straight one-shot kills to its credit over the past dozen years - on everything from turkey to mule deer to waterbuck to zebra - I am afraid to touch it and possibly break the magic spell.’
- ‘Also giraffe, waterbuck, and Thomson's gazelle showed births spread more evenly through the year.’
- ‘Here, photographers can get vantage points to compose shots of elephants, rhinos, cheetahs, hyenas, gazelles and waterbucks.’
- ‘When we began filming at Elgon in February 2002, not a day went by without sighting a buffalo, bushbuck or waterbuck with a snare wrapped around its neck or foot.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.