One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An interrogation technique simulating the experience of drowning, in which a person is strapped head downwards on a sloping board or bench with the mouth and nose covered, while large quantities of water are poured over the face.
- ‘Although we likely won't know the whole story for some time, the use of torture like waterboarding has yielded important results too.’
- ‘It says they were exposed to beating, sleep deprivation and waterboarding.’
- ‘They said the intent is not to use that as an opening for possible use of waterboarding, an interrogation technique that simulates drowning.’
- ‘As a visual culture driven by images on TV and in the movies, waterboarding is a conveniently cinematic form of torture.’
- ‘As far as I can tell you are attempting to redefine torture to exclude waterboarding and sleep deprivation.’
- ‘The manual explicitly prohibits threats, coercion, physical abuse, and waterboarding, which creates the sensation of drowning.’
- ‘While in CIA custody, Mohammed was subjected to coercive interrogation techniques, culminating in waterboarding.’
- ‘I've always been on the fence about whether waterboarding constituted torture.’
- ‘In my mind, since the Spanish Inquisition, water-boarding has been torture.’
- ‘It now is American government policy that waterboarding is torture.’
- ‘But that was not the result of harsh techniques, including waterboarding, which were not introduced until August.’
- ‘She couldn't seem to explain when or where she had or possibly had not been told about water-boarding back in 2002 or perhaps 2003.’
- ‘The review questioned the effectiveness of harsh interrogation methods employed by CIA interrogators, such as waterboarding.’
- ‘Under the argument above, either incarceration is torture or waterboarding is not.’
- ‘Amnesty International once again show their true political colours in a campaign ad against the practice of waterboarding.’
- ‘They depicted the use of "enhanced" interrogation techniques against two of three men known to have faced waterboarding by the CIA.’
- ‘Republicans have insisted in recent weeks that she and other Democrats knew waterboarding was in use but made no attempt to protest.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.