Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A water diviner.
- ‘There are water-witchers out divining and they're closing in on you.’
- ‘As to traits, they were water-witchers, which I guess wasn't Native-American but more of a thing hill country people did?’
- ‘Although most water witches charge around $100, the U.S. Geological Survey and the National Water Well Association advise against employing a water witch to search for ground water.’
- ‘On one side of the family, nearly everybody followed a certain occupation but many people remembered by name are recalled as being known for some additional calling: water-witcher, horse-trader, fiddler.’
- ‘Before my grandfather started building his home, he hired a water witch to locate the place for their well.’
- ‘Meet artists, musicians, dancers, craftspeople, smokejumpers, packers, border guards, water-witchers and yodelers from both sides of the US-Canadian border at the 2007 Folklife Festival.’
- ‘Also known as dowsers, most water witches say they are born with a capacity to locate underground water by channeling its energy, or electromagnetism, or something loopy and twitchy of the kind that has yet to be named by science, through a pair of metal rods, a forked twig, a coat hanger, a pendulum or, in rare cases, acutely alert fingers.’
- ‘Ask them about water witches, or diviners, and find out if they have heard about them.’
- ‘According to the U.S. Geological Survey, not one scientifically conducted experiment using water witches to locate sites for the location of wells has ever yielded reproducible support for water witches’ claims.’
- ‘He hired a water witch when he wanted to drill a well.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.