One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The level below which the ground is saturated with water.
- ‘When standing water was no longer observable at a site, a monitoring well was used to determine the depth of the water table.’
- ‘The manure alone could destroy the water table, rendering the groundwater toxic and leaching poisons into the soil for miles around.’
- ‘Rain should be eased into the ground to raise the water table, which will give us healthier and more diverse parks, ravines and valleys.’
- ‘We need some good falls before winter to raise the water table.’
- ‘Not only does trout farming make use of saline groundwater, it could help lower the water table and reduce groundwater's salt content.’
- ‘Modern bore technology allows us to go deeper and deeper into the ground but does not teach us the simple sagacity of recharging the water table.’
- ‘At the same time, manure becomes a problem, both in terms of disposal and because it leaches into the water table.’
- ‘Controlled drainage uses valves to open and close drainage pipes and structures to control the depth of the water table.’
- ‘He believes Neolithic man started to dig a trench to reach the sunken water table, dumping the soil removed in a central pile and using fencing to keep it in place.’
- ‘Because of excessive use and many consecutive dry summers, the water table had descended alarmingly.’
- ‘This has resulted in a dramatic drop in the water table.’
- ‘The future of agriculture is threatened by a falling water table.’
- ‘It also submits that the most contaminated soil is typically at the water table and that the Defendant failed to test at that crucial level.’
- ‘The restoration was completed earlier this month and the tomb now sits on a concrete base in a dry area well above the water table.’
- ‘Do not apply pesticides where the water table is near the soil surface.’
- ‘I learned later that these boreholes, which were dug by cattle ranchers and reached down 100 meters and more, had lowered the water table.’
- ‘Since 1965, the water table under Beijing has fallen by some 59 metres.’
- ‘The positive impact on the water table can only be slight.’
- ‘Soon, the tanks fell into disuse and the water table dropped; this had disastrous effects for agriculture.’
- ‘He said there were about 30 people affected in the town and possibly many more in the townships where the water table was rising.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.