One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A widely distributed slender-leaved plant which grows in water or on mud and is sometimes used in aquaria.
Genus Callitriche, family Callitrichaceae
- ‘Here and there float upon the surface the round leaves and delicate white blossoms of the frogbit, together with lilies, pondweeds, and water starworts.’
- ‘When it grows on mud in low-water conditions, the leaves of water starwort are oblong.’
- ‘Milfoil and water starwort are good native ‘oxygenators’; try to avoid Canadian pondweed - it grows like wildfire and quickly takes over a pond!’
- ‘There will also be workshops on the more difficult groups such as water starworts, pondweeds, water crowfoots and stoneworts (Charophyta).’
- ‘I have published on topics ranging from aquatic plant reproductive systems, the spread of invasive aquatic plants, aquatic plant structure, and the taxonomy of water starworts and riverweeds (Podostemaceae).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.