Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Sports that are carried out on water, such as waterskiing and windsurfing.‘opportunities for water sports are good on the island’
- ‘This centre, as the only facility of its quality in the area, will contribute to the development of rowing, canoeing and other water sports in this region.’
- ‘Besides water sports, visitors can make an easy one-day excursion to Tomohon and Tondano, famed for their flower and agricultural products.’
- ‘Trinidad and Tobago's primary sports are cricket and soccer but basketball, netball, table tennis, track and field, golf, horse racing, and water sports are also popular.’
- ‘Visitors can enjoy their favorite water sports amidst the stunning scenery.’
- ‘It will offer tennis courts, nature walks and water sports.’
- ‘Apart from regular water sports cliff diving is an added exclusive special attraction of the place.’
- ‘The National Council on Physical Fitness and Sports set up a special task force last year promoting water sports and endorsing more international sailing competitions to be held in Taiwan.’
- ‘The plan, say city officials, is to develop the islands into a center for scuba diving, fishing and other water sports.’
- ‘You can choose from beach vacations that offer lots of water sports or breathtaking mountain views that give you opportunity for adventure sports.’
- ‘The resort is built on Grace Bay which offers excellent opportunities for a range of water sports, including sailing, swimming, diving and fishing.’
- ‘It boasts 6km of white glistening sand surrounded by tranquil water, and scuba diving, snorkelling and many other water sports are available here.’
- ‘There is much enthusiasm for recreational boating and water sports among the middle and upper class in India.’
- ‘Among other sports, he lists all water sports, mountain biking and trekking.’
- ‘If you are keen on water sports, beware that diving is best December to March, and surfing between June and August.’
- ‘Some fishing and boating industry observers fear such restrictions could extend to all types of boating as well as to diving or other water sports.’
- ‘This is a great opportunity to introduce children to water sports in a safe environment or to improve their skills if they already sail.’
- ‘I had noticed him a few days earlier, playing water sports, going on daily dives and mixing with the beautiful crowd.’
- ‘Diving, snorkeling and jet-skiing are popular water sports here as well.’
- ‘The United States has more than 80,000 miles of coastline and a population showing increasing interest in scuba diving, snorkeling, surfing, and other water sports.’
- ‘On the trip 60 youngsters from schools across Keighley, Bradford and Huddersfield, who have made a difference in their community, take part in a week of outdoor pursuits and water sports.’
2informal Sexual activity involving urination.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.