A semiaquatic spider.
- ‘When he had finished this, and still didn't know what to do, he found that he could always pass the time by catching huge water spiders from the quay and throwing them at his sister or mother.’
- ‘Being the chicken she is, saw a water spider and asked me to take it out of the pool.’
- ‘Bumblebees hugged the ground, water spiders skitted on temporary ponds, rivulets gushed from the moors and grouse kept an educated distance.’
- ‘The humming of the gnats that danced above the eddies of the stream, the beating of the dragon flies' wings, the strokes of the water spiders' legs, like oars which had lifted their boat - all these made audible music.’
- ‘They also believed this about the softball sized water spiders that occasionally found their way up here.’