One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A seven-a-side game played by swimmers in a pool, with a ball like a football that is thrown into the opponents' net. The game developed in Britain from about 1870.
- ‘Kenney said he has always encouraged some of his swimmers to play water polo during the swimming break.’
- ‘If there is a secret, it is that it takes ten years or more to develop players capable of playing good defensive water polo.’
- ‘This year, between games and tinkering in the garage, he also found time to take up water polo and volleyball.’
- ‘The complex, situated 300 yards from the beach, has a pool and organised basketball, football and water polo.’
- ‘They first went to the swimming pool to have a swim around and play a match of water polo.’
- ‘There are lots of great sports, from basketball to wrestling, football to water polo.’
- ‘To me, the combination of swimming and water polo is the ultimate definition of how kids should progress and succeed.’
- ‘Some resorts have also organised games such as beach-volley ball and water polo to keep the guests engaged.’
- ‘However, he also believes that clubs that mix water polo with swimming would be the ideal situation.’
- ‘Is one of these explanations the reason you are playing water polo?’
- ‘This all changed when he discovered the sport of water polo from his dad who once played for the Egyptian National Team.’
- ‘He played water polo at Lancaster University where he cycled the eight miles or so to work and went running on his lunch break.’
- ‘It's no secret that much of the game of water polo revolves around the center position.’
- ‘The only sports she knew how to play were soccer and water polo.’
- ‘We did sets dribbling the ball, we did water polo drills, and my swimmers got in great shape by playing water polo.’
- ‘The tactics and playing of the game are not unlike basketball or water polo.’
- ‘Why, then, do we insist that athletes should develop or succeed in both swimming and water polo?’
- ‘The depth at the shallow end could have been kept at a level to play water polo, certainly not in excess of four feet.’
- ‘Along with water polo, Powers enjoys football, basketball and bodysurfing.’
- ‘Prior to that the former solicitor's clerk had dabbled in water polo and the triathlon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.