One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A seven-a-side game played by swimmers in a pool, with a ball like a football that is thrown into the opponents' net. The game developed in Britain from about 1870.
- ‘Some resorts have also organised games such as beach-volley ball and water polo to keep the guests engaged.’
- ‘It's no secret that much of the game of water polo revolves around the center position.’
- ‘Along with water polo, Powers enjoys football, basketball and bodysurfing.’
- ‘However, he also believes that clubs that mix water polo with swimming would be the ideal situation.’
- ‘If there is a secret, it is that it takes ten years or more to develop players capable of playing good defensive water polo.’
- ‘The complex, situated 300 yards from the beach, has a pool and organised basketball, football and water polo.’
- ‘Kenney said he has always encouraged some of his swimmers to play water polo during the swimming break.’
- ‘They first went to the swimming pool to have a swim around and play a match of water polo.’
- ‘This all changed when he discovered the sport of water polo from his dad who once played for the Egyptian National Team.’
- ‘This year, between games and tinkering in the garage, he also found time to take up water polo and volleyball.’
- ‘The depth at the shallow end could have been kept at a level to play water polo, certainly not in excess of four feet.’
- ‘The tactics and playing of the game are not unlike basketball or water polo.’
- ‘He played water polo at Lancaster University where he cycled the eight miles or so to work and went running on his lunch break.’
- ‘There are lots of great sports, from basketball to wrestling, football to water polo.’
- ‘Is one of these explanations the reason you are playing water polo?’
- ‘Prior to that the former solicitor's clerk had dabbled in water polo and the triathlon.’
- ‘We did sets dribbling the ball, we did water polo drills, and my swimmers got in great shape by playing water polo.’
- ‘To me, the combination of swimming and water polo is the ultimate definition of how kids should progress and succeed.’
- ‘The only sports she knew how to play were soccer and water polo.’
- ‘Why, then, do we insist that athletes should develop or succeed in both swimming and water polo?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.