One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long, thin aquatic bug which walks slowly on the surface film of water and spears small prey with its beak.
- ‘Last year I had one water measurer visit the pond but I didn't get the chance to see it in action because the Pond Skaters ate it!’
- ‘Right, the water measurer prepares to climb the mensicus by drying its non-wetting claws.’
- ‘Other creatures inhabiting the surface film of bog pools are pond skaters, water measurers and water crickets.’
- ‘Has a broader body than the water measurer and a considerably shorter head, which has largish eyes.’
- ‘Species which are found include mayfly larvae, Great Diving Beetles and their larvae, water fleas, frogs, toads, newts and their tadpoles, water lice, pond skaters, water measurers and many others.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.