Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long, thin aquatic bug which walks slowly on the surface film of water and spears small prey with its beak.
- ‘Other creatures inhabiting the surface film of bog pools are pond skaters, water measurers and water crickets.’
- ‘Right, the water measurer prepares to climb the mensicus by drying its non-wetting claws.’
- ‘Last year I had one water measurer visit the pond but I didn't get the chance to see it in action because the Pond Skaters ate it!’
- ‘Species which are found include mayfly larvae, Great Diving Beetles and their larvae, water fleas, frogs, toads, newts and their tadpoles, water lice, pond skaters, water measurers and many others.’
- ‘Has a broader body than the water measurer and a considerably shorter head, which has largish eyes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.