One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The height reached by the water in a reservoir, river, storage tank, or similar.
- ‘In the 1990s, low rainfall caused the River Gambia's water level to become low.’
- ‘As the water level reached the top, I shut off the tap, bringing the glass up to my lips and sipping it silently.’
- ‘It's said that as one herd crossed a river it would raise the water level several feet.’
- ‘The water level was extremely high, and the river was almost overflowing over the dam.’
- ‘The administration has, however, established a control room near the river to monitor its water level round the clock.’
- ‘If the water level is too low, the ship would hit the river bottom.’
- ‘Measures were taken immediately to bring down the water level in the reservoir, near which 17 houses were flooded, the Civil Defence office said.’
- ‘When the water level reaches too close for comfort the villagers would dismantle their homes and move further up the hill.’
- ‘In fact, throughout November and early December, the water level in the tank was three-four feet.’
- ‘Down river in the community, the water level rises only minimally.’
- ‘The switch activates the bilge pump when the rising water level reaches a depth of 2 inches.’
- ‘The pump is powerful enough to create a vortex in the reservoir and if the water level is too low, this vortex will reach down into the pump inlet and bubbles will be pumped through the system.’
- ‘This will remove 770 million gallons of water from Mugdock, leaving 110 million gallons and a water level of 282 ft in the reservoir.’
- ‘With the light showers, the water level improved in the tank.’
- ‘The question is: what happens to the water level in the fish tank?’
- ‘The water level in the 1,819 foot high Linganamakki reservoir rose to 1794.30 feet, up by three feet in one day.’
- ‘The clear knob at the front allows you to keep an eye on water level in the external reservoir/pump/radiator box.’
- ‘Even a midsize or small river can overflow into streets if a storm causes the water level to rise quickly.’
- ‘During an average year, the water level in the reserve can rise thirty to forty feet.’
- ‘At the Shihmen Dam in Taoyuan County, the water level yesterday reached 220m, or 31.9 percent of the reservoir's capacity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.