One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of knot used to join two fishing lines.
- ‘The sling was tied with a water knot and loaded with an end-to-end pull on the loop.’
- ‘For all my ledgering in running water I use the simple set up shown below using the four turn water knot as the junction.’
- ‘The grapevine cinches tightly when loaded, adding an element of security lacking with the water knot.’
- ‘A test with overhand safeties on the water knot gradually slipped through 1.75 inches of tail, and then cinched and did not slip any further.’
- ‘That night, on a long and narrow ledge, I noticed that some of the water knots on his gear were sporting rather short tails.’
- ‘The water knot is arguably the strongest knot you can tie in webbing.’
- ‘Also, is the water knot suitable for tying in flourocarbon, or would you recommend something else?’
- ‘Check water knots in webbing frequently, and be sure to leave at least an inch of ‘tail’ after tightening.’
- ‘I know many people prefer to attach their paternoster links using a four turn water knot but I don't.’
- ‘A lot of very careful tests with special equipment have since been done to prove that water knots and grinner knots are vastly superior to blood knots.’
- ‘The drawings show the upper tag end 40 tied in another water knot for convenience of illustration.’
- ‘Basically, the water knot is two overhand knots, with the second being tied on top of the first.’
- ‘For double strength monofilament and copolymers make sure your water knots have three turns.’
- ‘A simple water knot is used to create a loop in the end of the tubular Kevlar anchor strap.’
- ‘Use an overhand knot as backup; what you will have is a water knot backed up with a split overhand bend.’
- ‘This method always involved having at least three water knots along the leader, it never really seemed to have an adverse effect.’
- ‘These instructions require basic knots, like the girth hitch and water knots, that are normally taught in the beginner classes.’
- ‘And because you should know both the water knot and also the duchess knot, behold them here in picture.’
- ‘If you don't want to stitch these or want to whip up a couple or four for a test, tie some elastic into loops using water knots.’
- ‘These results validate the need to leave long tails and inspect water knots before each use.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.