One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An obstacle in a jumping competition or steeplechase, where a horse must jump over or into water.
- ‘The grey horse just made too many mistakes over the big obstacles, though ironically it was a bad error at the smallest fence, the water jump, which ended his chances.’
- ‘Both noted that the line of fences 6, 7 and 8, which was a vertical of red planks to the twenty-foot water jump to a Liverpool oxer of white poles, was most tricky.’
- ‘Two opera singers will join a military band at the Aintree course's water jump for a rendition of the National Anthem, watched by millions of TV viewers worldwide.’
- ‘Only a couple of miles in, Argo fell at the water jump, dislocating a shoulder he had injured earlier that summer.’
- ‘The 16th is the water jump, which only stands two feet high and acts as a confidence-restorer after The Chair.’
- ‘It includes numerous special features, such as water jumps and drop fences, for the 350 entrants.’
- ‘Though problems were few and far between, the coffin complex at fence 16 claimed it share of victims, as did the first water jump.’
- ‘Carbury Cross also made a showing after the water jump as Monty's Pass moved to join the leaders for the first time.’
- ‘Four horses fell at the first two fences and we hadn't even approached Bechers Brook - a treacherous five-foot fence which falls away sharply into a water jump.’
- ‘Stunning doesn't have a great history of handling four-star water jumps, especially here at Rolex, but Fox-Pitt took his time, and rode strongly through the two complexes, and got it done.’
- ‘Personally I can't wait for Her Fineness to get caught out in the water jump.’
- ‘If he runs a blinder and makes it over the water jump who knows?’
- ‘The shortened course didn't feature the dreaded water jump, but it did have two elements from the triple combination.’
- ‘Azertyuiop, who made a bad mistake at the water jump, had to settle for third, a further 13 lengths in arrears.’
- ‘The two water jumps, the coffin at number 6, and the sunken road caused the majority of the problems.’
- ‘Though they seem to have mastered the water jump this time around, rails still fell often, although the faults were generals spread out over the course.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.