One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A flush toilet.
lavatory, wc, convenience, public convenience, facilities, urinal, privy, latrine, outhouse, earth closet, jakesView synonyms
- ‘Another clever possibility would be to have selected a kitchen sink that is easily cleaned - because that is probably what the owner uses as a substitute water closet instead of having to walk all the way down to the floor below.’
- ‘Other than these sparse accommodations, there was a fourth door on the left of the hall that led to a rather dilapidated, disgustingly mildewed water closet.’
- ‘The articles as a whole are written at a fairly simple level - a random sampling through might lead you to 250 words on alchemy, a diagram of the water closet, or a useful explanation of the authorship question.’
- ‘However, most houses in the village were served by earth closets and the inability to discharge water closets properly meant that if the piped system was not installed most houses would have to do without flushing lavatories.’
- ‘The water closets themselves, the signs and even the floor have been supplied and fitted by local tradesmen.’
- 1.1 A room containing a flush toilet.
- ‘Life would stir and release its shadows, as we rolled from our bunks and hobbled to the water closet.’
- ‘In the water closet she inspected the globe on the small lamp cleated to the wall.’
- ‘I was unimpressed by the bathroom, a one-room water closet with no real class.’
- ‘That's an awful amount of time to be locked up in the water closet, not to mention the effect on your health!’
- ‘In all, there were four rooms, a kitchenette, the storm cellar and a water closet.’
- ‘Cal chooses to climb another two flights of stairs to relieve himself in a dimly lit water closet at the farthest corner of the building.’
- ‘Because the couple had decided to add a new master bedroom onto their house, the existing bedroom space and an adjacent water closet were transformed into a multifunctional master bath.’
- ‘One of the single parents, in a flat shared with males, felt compelled to restrict her use of the communal water closet to early morning and last thing at night.’
- ‘He said 158 of the homes showed signs of dampness, and 76 had no separate water closet.’
- ‘Grumbling, Jocelyn quickly slipped through the window into an empty water closet, keeping her back exposed as little as possible.’
- ‘The door to the water closet was located to the right, fairly close to the stairs leading to the second floor.’
- ‘Her trepidation at being alone and vulnerable in a strange man's water closet is nothing short of hilarious.’
- ‘Justy studied them a moment while Amanda went through a side door and found a small water closet that contained an all-species toilet with a small sink.’
- ‘Taro laughed and then skirted around the edge of the dance floor toward the public water closet.’
- ‘I simply was checking the new pipes for the water closet down the hallway.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.