One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The crisp, white-fleshed tuber of a tropical sedge, used in oriental cooking.
- ‘Add the prawns, cornflour, paste and bamboo shoots, carrots, water chestnuts and bean sprouts.’
- ‘In the latter stages of cooking add water chestnuts, small corns, green beans and a tin of coconut milk.’
- ‘Oh, I thought this was a potato, but they're more like water chestnuts.’
- ‘The sautéed mushrooms, celery, tiny corn, water chestnut and snow peas are specially recommended - they were healthy and light, half fried so that the colour was bright and the vegetables crisp and full of juice.’
- ‘With her fingers, she picked up a water chestnut experimentally and placed it in her mouth.’
- ‘This was not your usual lumps of chicken floating on a sea of oyster sauce and a sprinkle of cashews, but had crispy water chestnuts, some pieces of sausage, mushroom and fried chilli as well.’
- ‘Or add flavour at the end in the form of smoked or raw fish, scallops, sliced and marinated beef, Chinese roast pork, finely chopped water chestnut or finely shredded iceberg lettuce.’
- ‘Drain the vinegar from the clam and add the sweet pea juice, wasabi, water chestnuts, chili, parsley and sea salt and toss to combine.’
- ‘Deep-frozen eyeballs might have the same consistency, somewhere between a water chestnut and a lychee; a cavernous void would have had more flavour.’
- ‘Sweetened scrambled egg yolk with water chestnuts, sweet corns and dried fruits is a dim sum created by the chef, crisp and soft.’
- ‘After 1 minute, add snow peas, bean sprouts, water chestnuts and sliced red capsicum to wok.’
- ‘Add ginger, dried and fresh mushrooms, water chestnuts and beansprouts and toss well.’
- ‘Clark spears a water chestnut with his chopstick while trying to pick it up.’
- ‘The dish included a good range of crunchy vegetables - broccoli, green peppers, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, cashew nuts and onion among them.’
- ‘It contained rump steak, mushrooms, peppers, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.’
- ‘Be careful because a tiny cube of crisp water chestnut, together with some hot juice, is wrapped in the core of each ball.’
- ‘The water chestnuts went with the baby corn and straw mushrooms very well, and the cream cut the chilli heat to perfection.’
- ‘Drain well, then add beans, orange sections and water chestnuts.’
- ‘The sizzling chicken with a spicy Peking sauce proved very popular and came with bean sprouts, crispy water chestnuts and small shapes of carrot in a very tasty sweet and sour barbecue sauce.’
- ‘Create themes for your raw veggies such as an Asian mix with snow peas, cucumber slices, shredded carrots, water chestnuts, bean sprouts and bok choy.’
2The sedge that yields the water chestnut, which is cultivated in flooded fields in SE Asia.
Eleocharis tuberosa, family Cyperaceae
- ‘Where I lived in up-state New York someone got the bright idea of growing water chestnuts in a pond as a crop.’
3An aquatic plant with small white flowers, producing an edible rounded seed with two large projecting horns.
Trapa natans, family Trapaceae
- ‘Eleocharis dulcis, is not a nut and is a completely different plant from the water chestnuts of the genus Trapa.’
- ‘Edible plants for your pond include watercress, water chestnuts, and arrowhead or Wapato.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.