One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large barrel used for catching and storing rainwater.
- ‘She was all for me filling and refilling the watering can from the water butt.’
- ‘I also emptied the bucket catching the drips from the new water butt onto the tomatoes, which were badly in need of watering.’
- ‘In my small garden I have three compost bins and two water butts so I do not lack facilities to dispose of vegetable waste, merely space to accommodate an unwanted bin.’
- ‘You can buy diverters that cost less than £5, which will channel water from a downpipe to a water butt or hose.’
- ‘Rainwater collected in water butts has also been used and a pond has been built which is already home to a group of toads.’
- ‘Thames Water is urging residents to make the most of April's heavy showers by installing a water butt in the garden in readiness for summer dry spells.’
- ‘Finally, whatever happened to the old-fashioned wooden water butt?’
- ‘‘We have water butts on the downpipes front and back,’ he says.’
- ‘When you get to Umbria, you should check the standing water including water butts and drains if possible, and if you spot any larvae, arrange for the area to be treated.’
- ‘I'd drunk from streams or water butts, not a very sensible thing to do, but when you're fighting, you don't think of sensible things.’
- ‘But if meters are being put in affordable homes then other measures must be put in so water can be recycled, such as water butts.’
- ‘They can be reused for home composting, as a water butt or to restore recyclables in.’
- ‘With the arrival of her new wheelie bin, she is already planning to turn her four redundant dustbins into water butts, flower containers and other garden features.’
- ‘Invest in a water butt to collect rainwater for use in the garden.’
- ‘I'm going to invest in some hose and a drip irrigation system for the tubs and troughs, but I'm also thinking that it might be worth getting a water butt.’
- ‘Garden advice includes using a water butt to collect spring showers, considering drought resistant plants and avoiding sprinklers, which use as much in an hour as a family of four in a day.’
- ‘I also managed to connect the water butts together with this brilliant set of tube and washers that James' dad suggested we get.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.