Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a machine) cooled by the circulation of water.‘a water-cooled reactor’
- ‘Then they are fitted out with ignition-protected electrical components, as well as raw-water cooling and water-cooled and wetted exhaust systems.’
- ‘By 1911 his water-cooled, single cylinder, battery-ignition motor was in production and within a few years Evinrude was in the export market, selling outboards to fishermen in Scandinavia.’
- ‘Cores are the most common type of samples extracted from concrete structures; they are usually extracted with a water-cooled coring rig.’
- ‘Fortunately, having a totally water-cooled system was going to make things a whole lot easier.’
- ‘The grinding wheel is surrounded by a shroud which includes a water-cooled cooling jacket.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.