One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who keeps watch or acts as a lookout, especially on board a ship.
- ‘Although people had been on watch and the watchkeepers were very, very tired, everyone was up and buzzing.’
- ‘In this guise, it features a small staff of day members and watchkeepers.’
- ‘The watchkeeper snorted and stepped out onto the balcony.’
- ‘Acting with another watchkeeper, he entered the machinery space and promptly isolated the fuel leak by shutting down the engine.’
- ‘A new initiative is cutting the number of watchkeepers needed when a mine countermeasures vessel is in her base port over a weekend.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.