One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Spend time observing other people going about their business.‘I love sitting here and watching the world go by’
- ‘I like standing on my step watching the world go by and I was forever seeing her walking these two donkeys of hers around the village.’
- ‘With everything I could possibly want so close to hand, I began spending whole days sitting out there, watching the world go by.’
- ‘The only shame was that we had to go back to work, and couldn't spend all afternoon watching the world go by, from the comfort of the leather sofa!’
- ‘I spent an entertaining 15 minutes sitting in the shopping centre watching the world go by.’
- ‘How much of the woman's life was spent on that chair watching the world go by?’
- ‘It is idyllic to sit on an early summer's evening with cocktail in hand, watching the world go by.’
- ‘Thousands of visitors every year come to enjoy the huge range of activities available; from sailing to sunbathing; birdwatching to bicycling and waterskiing to just watching the world go by.’
- ‘Normally, in this situation, I enjoy just sitting, watching the world go by.’
- ‘I spent a leisurely morning sipping coffee and watching the world go by on the sidewalk near Venice Beach.’
- ‘What I came to enjoy about the place was just sitting on that stair, having cups of tea and watching the world go by.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.