One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A close-fitting knitted cap of a kind worn by members of the US Navy in cold weather.
- ‘In the Gulf, I had taken out the watch cap and the hand-warmers, and I hadn't bothered to put them back into my survival vest.’
- ‘His shaggy brown hair spilled out from below his white watch cap.’
- ‘On my first walk across the yard, accompanied by a guard, I was surprised at how normal, even fashionable, the men's blue and orange jackets, pants and watch caps seemed.’
- ‘Their faces were smeared in grease paint and watch caps covered their hair.’
- ‘I pull it down low over the eyebrows, like a watch cap.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.