One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A waste-paper basket.
- ‘After eating her bedtime snack, she put her spoon and glass in the sink that had her dinner dishes, and the empty yogurt container in a nearby wastebasket.’
- ‘The student had her own desk and computer and wastebasket, which they emptied.’
- ‘He bent over to grab the brown metal wastebasket and brandish it like a shield, making her laugh.’
- ‘I sighed, dropped the bag into the wastebasket, and tapped my fingers against the marble counter.’
- ‘I slipped off my newer skirt and threw it in the laundry basket opposite the wastebasket and began to unbutton my blouse.’
- ‘A hand reached out awkwardly, bumping her elbow against the roll of toilet paper hanging above a plastic green wastebasket.’
- ‘He indicated the photo of a really cute guy that was resting at the bottom of her stained glass wastebasket.’
- ‘The test tube still lay on the edge of the sink; she wrapped it and its box in paper towels and unceremoniously chucked them into the wastebasket.’
- ‘Brushing crumbs into a wastebasket, Sean started to brew a fresh pot.’
- ‘As Writer #5 watches, Lionel takes the writer's wastebasket, empties it out over his desk, tosses the script in the basket and douses it with gasoline.’
- ‘Drifts of paper - treaty drafts, industry talking points, environmentalist press releases - overflowed every wastebasket.’
- ‘Hey, if you need, that wastebasket makes for a handy bucket, you know.’
- ‘First, she lines the bottom of a rectangular plastic wastebasket with several thicknesses of black and white newspaper.’
- ‘Simon left, glancing one more time at his discarded cigar in Jim's wastebasket.’
- ‘Back in the early eighties, one of the maintenance employees asked if I knew how much it cost to line every wastebasket with a plastic bag: $1,200 a year.’
- ‘Glaring at the milk carton Mercy threw the soaked towel of milk into the green tin wastebasket.’
- ‘She took my plate and scraped the food into my wastebasket.’
- ‘Right on the floor by the exit was a small blue wastebasket.’
- ‘The final section of the show featured a miniature artist's office, with file cabinet, worktable, chair and wastebasket all set out on a funky full-sized work table.’
- ‘But I do what I can with the plastic by reusing plastic bags to line the wastebasket and by saving plastic containers for other uses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.