One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See wasp waist
- ‘The stone statues of the abstract Union Soldier grow slimmer and younger each year - wasp-waisted, they doze over muskets and muse through their sideburns.’
- ‘His wasp-waisted, long-limbed figures express the era's aspirations and opulence with disarming force.’
- ‘I'll just keep it that way and make everything else so much bigger that I'll look wasp-waisted and cartoonish.’
- ‘Essentially designed to go with the romantic, wasp-waisted Fifties look, bear in mind that these pieces are fashioned to stop at your middle.’
- ‘The family gathers in front of the house, the mother in her wasp-waisted dress a picture of 1950s domesticity as she repeatedly leads a child down the walk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.