One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large metal tub used for washing clothes and linen.
- ‘Two large washtubs or large gourds are placed next to each other and partially filled with water.’
- ‘Once Rupert loaded all his cargo into his little washtub, he got directions and a list of houses.’
- ‘Overstuffed pink chairs and a couch rested in one corner, a small kitchenette with a washtub and icebox in another.’
- ‘‘We can also use that metal washtub that's near the garage,’ Tommy replied.’
- ‘Emily was sitting on a chair, next to the washtub, talking to Hannah, who was kneeling at the tub helping a girl bath.’
- ‘She picked up the two sheets and dragged them over to the washtub before angrily throwing them in.’
- ‘If you must use a bathtub, washtub, or kitchen sink to wash screens.’
- ‘A bedpan, a urinal, a washtub, a bucket, a table, a bed, the chair by the window… everything was crammed into that small space.’
- ‘They have a washtub and there is plenty of hot water.’
- ‘The clothes were brought in by the girl with the boy; two men carrying a large washtub and kettles of steaming water accompanied her.’
- ‘Lacey quickly opened the door wider allowing them scurry in and empty the steaming buckets in the washtub.’
- ‘Tanner's thoughts began to tumble around, sloshing together like laundry in a washtub.’
- ‘After all, the band hall was a portable, the chairs were overturned metal washtubs, there was no air conditioning, and now three of the four buses had died.’
- ‘They do all the cooking, cleaning, and laundry (in old-fashioned washtubs, with no electric dryers).’
- ‘Tin washtubs, available at most home centers, make great containers for beer and soft drinks.’
- ‘You can also achieve this effect by planting moisture lovers, such as cardinal flower and Japanese iris, in a bucket or a washtub or by using heavy polyethylene plastic instead of a pond liner.’
- ‘Frankly, I think they'll be better off with a clothesline and a washtub…’
- ‘I use old plastic nursery cans and cheap plastic washtubs.’
- ‘Instead of chairs, there were large metal washtubs that all the present band members had turned over to sit on.’
- ‘When I was young, my mom had washtubs, those cast iron things.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.