One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Land that is periodically flooded by a river or stream.
- ‘‘I have got information from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister that states quite clearly that houses should not be built on flood plains and washland,’ she said.’
- ‘The Government and the Environment Agency are now looking at other more traditional solutions to the threat of flooding, such as introducing washland and wetland to contain water.’
- ‘Other options include maintaining the site as a washland to store water during flooding, which it does at the moment, or creating a wetland in partnership with other organisations to encourage more ecology.’
- ‘He claimed that part of the land on which 500 new homes are to be built was also washland.’
- ‘The wall at Pinfold Cottage will be repaired and a short section of new embankment is also proposed next to the washland.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.