One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sodium carbonate, used dissolved in water for washing and cleaning.
- ‘Use natural, unscented laundry soap and add borax, washing soda or baking soda as a water softener.’
- ‘Baking soda, distilled white vinegar, washing soda, Borax and a good liquid soap or detergent will do nicely.’
- ‘Mix 1 teaspoon washing soda into 1 gallon hot water and wash the floor with a mop, sponge, or soft bristled brush.’
- ‘To get grease out of clothes, Andrew suggested dissolving washing soda in hot water and soaking the garment for half an hour.’
- ‘Never soak such items in solutions containing ammonia, washing soda or heavy duty detergents.’
- ‘Dissolve one cup of washing soda in a litre of hot water and add the soap solution, mixing well.’
- ‘Soak in a solution of 3 tablespoons of washing soda or baking soda per 1 quart of water to remove burned on food or grease.’
- ‘Scrubbing sinks, tubs, and countertops with a paste of baking soda and water effectively removes dirt rings and some stains; if that doesn't work, try a paste of washing soda and water, and be sure to wear gloves.’
- ‘If approved disinfectants are unavailable washing soda, mixed with water at a rate of 50 grams per litre, is the next best alternative.’
- ‘Hard water can be softened with the addition of a handful of washing soda (available from supermarkets) or bicarbonate of soda to the wash and rinse cycles.’
- ‘I then left the clothes in a bucket to soak overnight with washing soda.’
- ‘Soft muds, silts, and sands can simply be dried thoroughly and then soaked in water or, more effectively, in solutions of washing soda, water softener, or a suitable detergent.’
- ‘Next put the rawhide you will be using into a bath containing cold water with about 2 ounces (a scant handful) of washing soda per gallon dissolved in it.’
- ‘A chemical neighbor of baking soda, washing soda (sodium carbonate) is much more strongly alkaline, with a pH around 11.’
- ‘For painted wooden floors, mix 1 teaspoon washing soda into 1 gallon hot water.’
- ‘A man in Co. Limerick found that blight could be controlled by an application of bluestone and lime, or bluestone and washing soda.’
- ‘To remove lacquer, place the item in 2 gallons of boiling water to which 1 cup of washing soda has been added.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.