Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of fabric or clothes) able to be washed without shrinkage or other damage:‘washable curtains’
removable, eradicable, washable, deletable, non-permanentView synonyms
- ‘Then, if fabric is washable, launder in warm water and detergent.’
- ‘Ideally the technique is used on washable fabrics, since water is required to remove the marking lines and water-soluble thread.’
- ‘Linen is technically a washable fabric, but how you launder your sewn project, depends on the construction rather than the content.’
- ‘Like silk, if you pre-wash rayon fabric prior to construction of the garment, you have a washable garment.’
- ‘Natural sheepskin is preferable because it provides natural lanolin to exposed skin, 17 although it is expensive and is not washable.’
- ‘Another thing you'll notice after investigating washable cloth pads is that there is much more variety in design amongst the cloth pads than there is in the mainstream products.’
- ‘He should wear complete covering - hood, coveralls, rubber gloves, and rubber boots or washable non-canvas shoes.’
- ‘A removable washable fan filter is implemented to keep the dust bunnies from multiplying inside the case.’
- ‘Stuffed toys that cannot be washed should be removed or replaced with washable toys.’
- ‘The removable front grill with replaceable debris screen and washable speaker cavity area allows users to easily wash away dust and other debris.’
- ‘And yet the chair's slipcover is removable and washable, and any pet hair or spills won't jump out as much as they would on a white slipcover.’
- ‘Add a few pillows and a throw, and you have changed the entire look of your furniture for little money, the covers are washable, and you can make one for each season if you want.’
- ‘In addition to the birthing pool hire, Ruth and David are selling washable nappies and ethical laundry liquids.’
- ‘The sofa and armchair are dressed in washable slipcovers for easy care, making the guesthouse a place where kids are welcome and parents won't worry.’
- ‘Not only are they generally stronger than plastic bags, but they are washable and can be used over and over again.’
- ‘The black air filter is removable and washable.’
- ‘Some models, such as those made by Brandt, have washable metallic filters that can be cleaned in the dishwasher.’
- ‘The dress must be basically washable in warm water & able to be agitated at least somewhat for uniform dyeing.’
- ‘If washable paper you may be able to wipe off with a sudsy sponge, followed by damp sponge.’
- ‘We will look for more washable fabrics, rather than having to dry-clean with all those dangerous chemicals.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.