Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for washbasin
- ‘Both bedrooms are located upstairs, and the larger of the two features fitted wardrobes and a wash-hand basin.’
- ‘The main bathroom has a walk-in tiled shower unit, toilet and wash-hand basin.’
- ‘The final room on this level is another double bedroom with a black marble fireplace, corner wash-hand basin and moulded ceiling cornice.’
- ‘At return level, there is a guest toilet with wash-hand basin and a large double bedroom which overlooks the rear garden and which still has its original tiled fireplace.’
- ‘Features include a bay window and open fireplace in the lounge, fitted presses in the kitchen and wash-hand basins in four bedrooms.’
- ‘The white ceramic suite comprises a bath with wall-mounted hand shower and tiled surround, wash-hand basin and toilet.’
- ‘Both bedrooms include double fitted floor to ceiling wardrobes while one has an en suite with a fully tiled shower and wash-hand basin.’
- ‘A teak front door with a stained glass panel leads into a good-sized hall with a small cloakroom, toilet and wash-hand basin.’
- ‘New showers, toilets and wash-hand basins are now installed together with a new hot water system.’
- ‘At the back of the house is a third double bedroom, also with a tiled fireplace, built-in shelving and a wash-hand basin.’
- ‘The larger of the two has a vanity wash-hand basin and a large mirrored wardrobe.’
- ‘Beside it is the stylish family bathroom with antique wash-hand basin, cast iron bath with claw feet and step-in shower cubicle.’
- ‘The first, a double, has an en suite with fully tiled walls and floor, a step-in power shower, wash-hand basin and toilet.’
- ‘All four bedrooms in the main part of the house have fitted wardrobes and wash-hand basins.’
- ‘The latter has ceramic tiled floors and half-tiled walls along with a wooden ceiling, ceramic bath and wash-hand basin.’
- ‘The family bathroom is part-tiled in blue and has a grey ceramic suite - a bath with tiled surround, pedestal wash-hand basin and bidet.’
- ‘There is a range of fitted storage units and a corner wash-hand basin.’
- ‘I had to fix up the toilet and wash-hand basin myself.’
- ‘Two of the doubles retain their polished floorboards and timber fireplaces while another has a wash-hand basin.’
- ‘Glazed doors lead to the en suite bathroom which has an electric shower, wash-hand basin and toilet.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.