One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An African wild pig with a large head, warty lumps on the face, and curved tusks.
- ‘The big cat typically preys on smaller antelope, warthogs, hares, and game birds - the very animals that range freely on the Hoedspruit property.’
- ‘When I was in the midst of the baboon troop, animals that are normally extremely wary of humans, like bushbuck, warthogs, and bat-eared foxes, walked right up to me; a warthog even let her babies play at my feet.’
- ‘Wild pigs include the warthog, giant forest hog and red river hog.’
- ‘In the dry season, July to November, the river is an excellent place for observing large numbers of game including lions, leopards, hunting dogs, giraffe, waterbuck, eland and warthogs.’
- ‘He was an exceptional guide, able simultaneously to drive a 4WD vehicle, identify a juvenile pale chanting goshawk and relate a children's story about why warthogs run with their tails held erect.’
- ‘In eastern Africa, they mostly hunt Thomson's gazelles, but they will also attack calves, warthogs, zebras, impalas, and the young of large antelopes such as the gnu.’
- ‘Dozens of other animals were also killed, including antelope, zebra, warthogs, baboons and birds. ½ United States’
- ‘Other animal species to look out for include impala, blue wildebeest, waterbuck, zebra, nyala, kudu, bushbuck, warthog, cheetah, hyena, jackal and giraffe.’
- ‘Other animals, such as waterbucks, kudus, warthogs, and baboons, drank from the same troughs.’
- ‘It was these drinking poses which enabled the giraffe supplant the warthog as Alex's favourite animal.’
- ‘I was immune to this problem by dint of having only one merely medium-sized bag - a baby warthog, or a few meerkats - with no presents in it.’
- ‘As for antelopes, baboons, chimps, crocodiles, gazelles, giraffes, hippos, hyenas, warthogs and zebras, well, they're ten a shilling.’
- ‘Also on sale were Burchells Zebra, blue and black wildebeest, lechwe, waterbuck, eland, impala, bontebuck, kudu, ostrich, hartebeest, blesbuck, springbok, warthog and mountain reedbuck.’
- ‘Burrows which have been abandoned may be used for shelter by bats, ground squirrels, hares, cats, civets, hyenas, jackals, porcupines, monitor lizards, owls and warthogs.’
- ‘Add up all the lions, elephants, warthogs, giraffes, gazelles, zebras, impalas, topis and hyenas that live on these plains and they fail to outnumber the gnus.’
- ‘Certain prey like bush pig and warthog, with their razor-sharp tusks, are handled differently from the horned and kicking antelopes.’
- ‘Hogs have fallen to my sixguns in Oregon, Missouri, Texas and Arizona, as have the warthogs of South Africa, not to mention the pig-like peccaries or javelina of the Southwest.’
- ‘Yet should a warthog or impala wander under the tree in which it is passing the time of day, eyes will light up and it will drop like a stone onto the unsuspecting animal for a free meal.’
- ‘Currently we've got warthogs, monkeys, a baboon, small antelopes, a scrub hare and an Egyptian goose.’
- ‘For warthog and zebra the equivalent newborn/adult ratio was calculated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.