Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ship equipped with weapons and designed to take part in warfare at sea.
- ‘Two Royal Navy warships have taken up the rare opportunity to participate in Russian Navy Days.’
- ‘The warship was stripped of weapons in 1985 and used as a Navigational Training ship.’
- ‘Royal Navy warships are constantly engaged in large exercises and Sheffield is no exception.’
- ‘Seven British warships and support vessels have set off on a voyage around the world to mark the new millennium.’
- ‘Then it was rolled down to the water's edge along a walkway and loaded on to a powder hoy to be ferried to the waiting warship.’
- ‘The crew of two Royal Navy warships returned home from the war in Iraq yesterday to a noisy reception from loved ones.’
- ‘These ships accounted for the sinking or damaging of a number of warships and merchant ships.’
- ‘Traditionally a warship's paying-off pennant is the length of the ship plus one foot for every year of service.’
- ‘He is the only junior rating to have a warship named for him, the Collins class submarine HMAS Sheean.’
- ‘Wind has disrupted the advance of great warships like battleships and aircraft carriers.’
- ‘The Bangladeshi Navy has a number of former British warships in its fleet, according to Jane's Fighting Ships.’
- ‘In the medieval period there was no absolute distinction between merchant ships and warships.’
- ‘He designed merchant ships and warships which were later to play a major role in the Second World War.’
- ‘She is designed to replenish warships with bunker and aviation fuel, lubricants and fresh water.’
- ‘About 24 British Royal Navy warships as well as 23,000 British troops are in the region.’
- ‘Hmas Stuart one of the Royal Australian Navy's newest warships has been given her pink slip.’
- ‘On some ships, particularly warships, the winch and hawse pipes might be below the deck.’
- ‘This applied research programme is intended for use in both existing and future Royal Navy surface warships.’
- ‘Kent is one of the Navy's latest warships, having joined the Fleet in 2000.’
- ‘The warships and support ships at the Pang-nga Naval Pier were in disarray.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.