One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ship equipped with weapons and designed to take part in warfare at sea.
- ‘The crew of two Royal Navy warships returned home from the war in Iraq yesterday to a noisy reception from loved ones.’
- ‘He designed merchant ships and warships which were later to play a major role in the Second World War.’
- ‘This applied research programme is intended for use in both existing and future Royal Navy surface warships.’
- ‘Kent is one of the Navy's latest warships, having joined the Fleet in 2000.’
- ‘These ships accounted for the sinking or damaging of a number of warships and merchant ships.’
- ‘The Bangladeshi Navy has a number of former British warships in its fleet, according to Jane's Fighting Ships.’
- ‘About 24 British Royal Navy warships as well as 23,000 British troops are in the region.’
- ‘Two Royal Navy warships have taken up the rare opportunity to participate in Russian Navy Days.’
- ‘Royal Navy warships are constantly engaged in large exercises and Sheffield is no exception.’
- ‘Traditionally a warship's paying-off pennant is the length of the ship plus one foot for every year of service.’
- ‘In the medieval period there was no absolute distinction between merchant ships and warships.’
- ‘He is the only junior rating to have a warship named for him, the Collins class submarine HMAS Sheean.’
- ‘Wind has disrupted the advance of great warships like battleships and aircraft carriers.’
- ‘The warships and support ships at the Pang-nga Naval Pier were in disarray.’
- ‘She is designed to replenish warships with bunker and aviation fuel, lubricants and fresh water.’
- ‘On some ships, particularly warships, the winch and hawse pipes might be below the deck.’
- ‘The warship was stripped of weapons in 1985 and used as a Navigational Training ship.’
- ‘Seven British warships and support vessels have set off on a voyage around the world to mark the new millennium.’
- ‘Hmas Stuart one of the Royal Australian Navy's newest warships has been given her pink slip.’
- ‘Then it was rolled down to the water's edge along a walkway and loaded on to a powder hoy to be ferried to the waiting warship.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.