One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A triangular red frame, made of reflective material, carried by motorists to be set up on the road as a danger signal in case of a breakdown or other hazard.
- ‘He said: ‘Why didn't they have a warning triangle, a flag or anything to say there was a 40-tonne piece of metal in the road?’’
- ‘I had a little trawl of the Microsoft SBS website whereupon my eyes landed on the yellow warning triangle and the words.’
- ‘More space savers include a 60 litre, three-compartment storage box under the load area floor panels and special space for two umbrellas, a warning triangle and first aid kit.’
- ‘I had warned her that the luxury of a comprehensive selection of underwear would have to be forsaken in favour of our spare petrol, tyre foam, warning triangle, fire extinguisher and tow rope.’
- ‘These vary from country to country but generally include headlamp converters, spare bulbs, a nationality sticker (unless the car is fitted with GB Euro number plates) and a warning triangle.’
- ‘There is also a special compartment in the tailgate which houses a warning triangle for use if the event of a breakdown, a legal necessity abroad.’
- ‘Items which get stolen from council vehicles include jacks, rims, tyres, seats, engine parts, steering wheels, number plates, petrol caps and warning triangles.’
- ‘The European Travel Kit contains everything you'll need, including a warning triangle, headlamp deflectors, GB sticker, bulbs and first aid essentials.’
- ‘Sidelights, warning triangles and first-aid kits are all legal requirements in many European countries.’
- ‘In most countries you will need to carry a red warning triangle and in others a first-aid kit is compulsory.’
- ‘An ice scraper and de-icer, torch, jump leads and a warm coat all feature highly on the list, alongside a first aid kit and warning triangle which can be carried all through the year.’
- ‘It is also wise to carry a warning triangle as its use is compulsory after an accident or breakdown in most countries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.