One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1predicative Lacking in a required or necessary quality.‘they weren't wanting in confidence’‘the English batting technique has been found wanting’
deficient, inadequate, lacking, insufficient, imperfect, not up to par, not up to standard, not good enough, disappointing, unsatisfying, unacceptable, not acceptable, not up to expectations, leaving much to be desired, flawed, faulty, defective, impaired, unsound, substandard, inferior, second-rate, poor, shabby, shoddy, patchy, sketchy, limited, restricted, incomplete, unfinished, unpolished, unrefinedwithout, lacking, devoid of, bereft of, bankrupt of, destitute of, empty of, deprived of, free from, free of, in need ofView synonyms
- ‘Whether wanting is measured in quality or quantity depends entirely on the individuals concerned.’
- ‘It was from a sense of wanting to extend the way imagination can reveal the necessary knowledge.’
- ‘They charged that his delay to fire ministers he found wanting was proof enough that his word could not be relied upon.’
- ‘Yet the promises of technology were often found wanting, and each new technological development was swiftly matched by a counter-response.’
- ‘In this area, Morrison was found wanting time and time again.’
- ‘The home side's backline were found wanting time and again.’
- ‘We urge them to ensure this experiment is monitored continuously and, if found wanting, amended immediately.’
- ‘The standard of tax office internal safeguards, repeatedly found wanting, are again in question.’
- 1.1 Not existing; absent.‘mandibles are wanting in many of these insects’
absent, missing, lacking, not there, not present, non-existent, not to be found, unavailable, shortView synonyms
- ‘Music Music Music was short enough to leave you wanting more, long enough to keep you interested to the very last note, without those tedious curtain breaks.’
- ‘Economically told, this is the kind of short that leaves you wanting more.’
- ‘It was just a long enough kiss to give me a taste, but just a short enough kiss to leave me wanting more, short enough that it didn't quench my need.’
- ‘Short, sharp and definitely leaving you wanting more, The New Fellas could easily be the best ‘scene’ album of the year.’
- ‘As the show drew to a close (after a disappointingly short 60 minutes) I was left wanting slightly more.’
- ‘If anything, the short, sharp shock of its visceral blues-punk left you wanting more - and more duly arrives in the shape of this follow-up.’
- 1.2informal Deficient in intelligence.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.