One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A classified advertisement in a newspaper or magazine; a small ad.
- ‘By late summer I found that I was reading the want ads when my wife wasn't looking.’
- ‘You'll also find a successful want ad section where many pilots sell and purchase hang gliding gear.’
- ‘I'm at the library every morning at opening time to check the want ads, make phone calls and surf the web looking for openings.’
- ‘Jacques decides to place a want ad for a housekeeper.’
- ‘The noticeboard has a number of want ads for band members.’
- ‘The following year he relocated to New York, where, through a want ad, he found a job writing exhibition reviews for Arts Digest.’
- ‘While that might sound like no big deal, consider this: placing a want ad for a ‘recent graduate’ is considered an act of age discrimination.’
- ‘Jamie went through the want ads, and underlined several jobs that she wanted to investigate.’
- ‘So I spent the summer locked in my room, working on my chops, scanning the want ads - I came across this cool one and called the number.’
- ‘About half of the cost of the magazine is paid for by the advertisers, and folks who send in their want ads.’
- ‘One day, you see a want ad in your local newspaper: ‘Agency seeking young women to work as au pairs.’’
- ‘Magick is both doing the ritual and giving you're friend the want ad.’
- ‘The National Organization for Women forms in 1966, petitioning to stop sex segregation of want ads and one year later to request federally funded childcare centers.’
- ‘The most traditional source of vacancies, the want ads, has gone high-tech.’
- ‘The lad starts his job search by scanning the want ads in the city's leading Republican newspaper, the New York Tribune, which seems an unlikely resource for a new arrival from a remote village.’
- ‘My daily newspaper, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, publishes homosexual want ads.’
- ‘The next morning, I started sifting through the want ads from the Sunday paper.’
- ‘Factory owners desperate for workers have resorted to taking out full-page want ads in the city's Chinese newspapers, but they say they have gotten minimal results.’
- ‘Simply sending your resume to employers who've placed want ads is not enough.’
- ‘Wes leafed through the want ads, looking for some sort of job.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.