One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Una Vita was published in 1892, and wanly noticed; Senilità, published in 1898, sank into oblivion.’
- ‘The mystic overtones of a suffering, bearded and often bare-chested man waving wanly to onlookers gazing up at him have also struck chords.’
- ‘So I spent the day lying round like a nineteenth century heroine laid low by love and germs, and the evening wanly supervising the film studies test.’
- ‘Turning around, the subdued light diffusing through the closed front window curtains into his living room wanly lit an unexpected object standing between the couch and the TV.’
- ‘And although the resolution wanly concedes Senate complicity in mob murders, it does little to compensate victims of a racist terrorism that was culture-deep.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.