Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Leisurely or aimless travels; journeys from place to place.‘his wanderings in the Derbyshire dales laid the foundations for his lifelong love of landscape’
travels, wanderings, journeys, voyages, expeditions, explorations, perambulations, odysseys, trips, treks, excursionsView synonyms
- ‘I was quite an insomniac back then, and one night I went for a walk and my wanderings eventually took me through the university.’
- ‘It's big enough to incorporate almost the entire seasonal wanderings of more than a million wildebeest, zebras and gazelles.’
- ‘The human mind, in its wide wanderings, has not dreamt, yet, of such a ‘freedom’ as that will be.’
- ‘He had a sure destination now, after for so long of aimless wanderings he knew where to go.’
- ‘Journeys, wanderings, separations, and a sense of homelessness are elements of many of the poems.’
- ‘It was the walks you could not understand, even when there was a destination you would rather dive for a taxi or the tube, still less leave your heated flat to join my aimless wanderings.’
- ‘His wanderings lead him to a crossroads where he encounters Laius and kills him in a fight.’
- ‘His subsequent wanderings took him as far as Australia and New Mexico in search of better health and the ideal society, but he found neither.’
- ‘In all my wanderings looking for indigenous breeds of dogs, I have seen only two specimens, both near Pollachi, Tamil Nadu.’
- ‘To what she had asked I had slipped in some passing remarks about Panchala and the Yadava lands and herbs and spices and sundry wanderings.’
- ‘Her strolls became aimless wanderings and she hated the lack of sunlight.’
- ‘During his subsequent wanderings, Odysseus is dipped repeatedly back into the condition of the obscured.’
- ‘It draws on his experiences while working for a builder in Hastings, where he settled in 1902 after various wanderings.’
- ‘If I am trying to make a goal for my blog, I am making it into a script, not a mirror of my thoughts and wanderings.’
- ‘The possibilities go on and on if you start thinking about having an intelligent agent that keeps track of your net wanderings.’
- ‘On one of his late night wanderings he discovers a neighbour's dog, dead on the lawn, with a garden fork stabbed through it.’
- ‘God tells Jacob, the man of so many wanderings, that he has to make one more journey.’
- ‘In our wanderings through the great forests and wastelands that ringed Aryavarta, there was always a need for one of us to snoop outside.’
- ‘Anis pays attention in class, but only briefly, and then his mind is off on its restless wanderings.’
- ‘Their wanderings ceased when they reached the beautiful mountain home where their descendants live today.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.