Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person who dances the waltz.
- ‘In a night of unprecedented nostalgia the rockers, the jivers and the waltzers descended on the ‘ballroom of romance’.’
- ‘It is expected that the event will attract a large entry of waltzers and dancers from over a wide area.’
- ‘Perfect wedding music, though at a pace that'll be a bit tough for waltzers at a country wedding.’
2British A fairground ride in which cars spin round as they are carried round an undulating track.
- ‘Choose from dodgems, water slides, waltzers - pretty much any ride you can think of.’
- ‘The girl band, The Honeyz, opened the Treetop Twister - described as a bit like riding a fairground waltzer on top of a roller coaster - after a 30-minute concert on May 20.’
- ‘A new ride, the Mega Bounce, imported from Spain, will be featured, as well as waltzers, dodgems, a Giant Octupus and a Twister.’
- ‘There were dodgem cars, helter skelters, waltzers, ghost trains, rifle ranges and lots more but two I remember more than most.’
- ‘It was where, as a teenager, he saw the fairground showmen set up camp with waltzers, dodgems and swingboats, bringing the promise of a merry-go-round of girls with beehive hairdos and stiletto heels.’
- ‘They have that rather dazed look of people who have just got off a fairground waltzer: none of them can quite believe they're all back on terra firma.’
- ‘Should I sees Colt and bass player Gemma Cullingford hovering between coquettish innocence and a full-blown teen tantrum in TopShop; Anamoy is like a ride on a waltzer with X-Ray Spex.’
- ‘The ride, which has been described as a ‘hair-raising cross between a rollercoaster and a waltzer,’ was only opened in May by girl band The Honeyz.’
- ‘What does ‘place’ mean when you're travelling, and what kind of place is created when the dodgems and waltzers come to town?’
- ‘They went for a spin on the waltzer (that's a tilt-a-whirl for our American readers) and the greasy funfair worker spun their car a bit too fast.’
- ‘Every second is stuffed with bright, brittle melodies that make you feel as if you've done too many turns on a fairground waltzer.’
- ‘The ride, which girl band Honeyz opened on May 20, is described as a cross between waltzers and a rollercoaster, in which gondolas seating four passengers rotate as they travel around a tubular track up to 12 metres above the ground.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.