Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] A type of board made from wood pulp, plaster, or other material, used for covering walls and ceilings.‘install waterproof wallboard around a shower’
- ‘All building materials, including the wood studs within your walls and the gypsum wallboard, can hold a certain amount of moisture and still do their job properly.’
- ‘Others project a brilliant vertical plumb line on walls and posts, or an exactly located spot on the ceiling, permitting perfectly aligned walls, wallboard, and plumbing.’
- ‘Use latex sealers for masonry, patching compound and wallboard; alkyd sealers are best for wood.’
- ‘Cement wallboard is used mostly when tiling a wall, and is usually not necessary for tiling tubs or sinks since they are supported with plywood.’
- ‘Cut through wallboard (gypsum board) with either a keyhole or reciprocating saw.’
- ‘Drywall, often called gypsum, wallboard or sheetrock, is made of a crumbly fire resistant substance called gypsum.’
- ‘This method uses wallboard which is the same thickness as the wall.’
- ‘The resulting rush to build pushed up prices for structural panels, lumber, wallboard and other materials.’
- ‘The two most common interior wall surfaces are gypsum wallboard, usually referred to as drywall or gyp board, and plaster.’
- ‘Dust and construction materials, such as wood, wallboard, and insulation, contain nutrients that allow biological pollutants to grow.’
- ‘If you have gypsum wallboard, avoid pressing too hard or you will cut through its paper facing.’
- ‘However, of these, only gypsum wallboard and asphalt paving report price gains in the double digits.’
- ‘Any material that meets these requirements may be used as an air barrier, including metal, plywood, gypsum wallboard, and a number of different types of waterproofing and flashing membranes.’
- ‘This anchor is designed for use in wallboard, plaster, or other hollow walls, such as tiled wallboard.’
- ‘The repair procedures differ depending on whether it is an older wall with lath and plaster, or a newer wall using gypsum wallboard (drywall).’
- ‘Structural steel, reinforcing bar, lumber, plywood, gypsum wallboard, plastic pipe and stainless steel sheet were only some of the products experiencing declining price levels this year.’
- ‘Fasten the corners of the gypsum lath or wallboard to the existing lath behind the plaster.’
- ‘When using the nail-on and adhesive method, use three nails across each wallboard at each joist.’
- ‘Steel products caused the most damage but prices for lumber, plywood, gypsum wallboard, copper, stainless steel, pipe and fuel are all joining in to pummel contractors.’
- ‘If they're really bad, it is possible to glue and screw new wallboard over the existing walls or ceiling.’
- 1.1[count noun]A piece of wallboard.‘they have chosen wallboards and ceiling sheets in lieu of wood’
- ‘Too eager to be respectful, he knocked more and more forcefully, shaking the brittle wallboards and splintering a few pieces of the flimsy sun-baked wood.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.