One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A painting made directly on a wall, such as a fresco or mural.
- ‘There are, as always, minor points of debate, such as the interpretation of a Cretan wall painting, which depicts friars burning in hell, as hostile to the Catholic conquerors of the island.’
- ‘‘Optophone’ is a wall painting of warped concentric circles and diamonds, which is reflected in ‘Liberty Domes’ directly opposite it.’
- ‘Because frescoes in Venice deteriorate rapidly, the sections on wall painting leave a particularly deep impression on the reader.’
- ‘Anyway I burst in on the restaurant in a hurry to check out the wall painting.’
- ‘Lorenzo Pace's installation - involving a wall painting, a children's book, and a white picket fence and stuffed animals on the floor - extends a family history back to slavery and Reconstruction.’
- ‘Various shabby blocks are uplifted by such sweet details as a flowering red mimosa tree, a blue lawn umbrella with yellow table and a happily crude, starburst wall painting of a battery and alternator.’
- ‘This, in turn, was based on a now lost Roman wall painting discovered in 1668 in the Baths of Titus.’
- ‘The pictorial art of fresco or wall painting is a phenomenon of the Second Palace period both on Crete and in the Cyclades, though plain red and geometric plaster patterns are known much earlier.’
- ‘Underneath it, on the bottom half of the wall was the first wall painting I had done.’
- ‘Echoes of Art Nouveau, bandes dessines and Japanese anime could be found in the drawings and wall painting of Haluk Akakce, a young New York-based Turkish artist.’
- ‘The main inspiration for the Colton mural is drawn from the wall painting from Pharaoh Horemheb's tomb.’
- ‘Renovations at St Cadoc's church in south Wales have uncovered a medieval wall painting thought to have been covered up since the Reformation.’
- ‘Takano's Universe Dream, a site-specific wall painting, featured her recognizable variations on self-portraits welcoming visitors at the entrance to the museum galleries.’
- ‘Subtitled ‘An interpretation of the chronicle of Fray Gaspar de Carvajal,’ this ensemble of sculptures, drawings and a wall painting examined the first European expedition to navigate the Amazon.’
- ‘One of the earliest records of a flower pot is found in an ancient Egyptian wall painting from 1500 BC, showing the return of the first recorded plant-hunting expedition that brought back myrrh-bearing incense trees.’
- ‘A new wall painting by Richard Long and Monet's Waterlilies gaze at each other balefully and the visitor just whizzes through.’
- ‘His four-panel wall painting, Aspects of Negro Life, which explores the history of African-Americans from early origins into the early 1930s, is the focus of this small exhibition.’
- ‘Publications focusing on architectural stenciling emphasize itinerant male artisans and give little credence to the possibility that women might have done their own decorative wall painting.’
- ‘The use of the symbol may be different from its use in a Chinese wall painting, but the features of the icon are unchanged.’
- ‘A wall painting, Arca de Noe 2, is a portrait of a city (it could be Japanese) that centers on a big canal lock in which a trash barge floats.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.