A North American fern with long slender tapering fronds that form new plantlets where the tips touch the ground, typically growing on limestone.
- ‘This trail's namesake is a large boulder located near the midpoint that is covered with walking ferns.’
- ‘Mosses and walking ferns may grow in the cooler air and in the low light of the cave entrance.’
- ‘This area, from Kemble Mount to Dodd's Hill is filled with fissures and is another SBTC fern paradise - watch for walking ferns and much more.’
- ‘I have been trying to grow walking ferns from spores, with little or no success until this last year.’
- ‘The blocks of limestone in the forest's ravine are covered with lush growths of mosses, lichens, liverworts and walking ferns.’