One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has an impressive knowledge of facts or words.‘he was a walking encyclopedia of facts on organized crime’
- ‘The man is a walking encyclopedia, with vast knowledge of history, the classics, politics, and anything else one can possibly think of.’
- ‘Bitton says the activists do have a role to play in the club - as walking encyclopedias, sources of information for the other side.’
- ‘It's very useful indeed to have friends who are like walking encyclopedias.’
- ‘There are people who are walking encyclopedias, but they make a mess of their lives.’
- ‘He also said the judge is ‘almost a virtual walking encyclopedia of the law, especially Supreme Court law.’’
- ‘He is a walking encyclopedia of names, dates and facts relating to the history of the sport and the Hall of Fame.’
- ‘Henry's a walking encyclopaedia of Manchester City knowledge.’
- ‘When it comes to nutrition, this man is a walking encyclopedia.’
- ‘Then you realize that this guy is the walking encyclopedia of his sport.’
- ‘Don't act like you've never heard a swear word before, the lot of you are walking dictionaries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.