One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has an impressive knowledge of facts or words.‘he was a walking encyclopedia of facts on organized crime’
- ‘He also said the judge is ‘almost a virtual walking encyclopedia of the law, especially Supreme Court law.’’
- ‘When it comes to nutrition, this man is a walking encyclopedia.’
- ‘The man is a walking encyclopedia, with vast knowledge of history, the classics, politics, and anything else one can possibly think of.’
- ‘Henry's a walking encyclopaedia of Manchester City knowledge.’
- ‘Then you realize that this guy is the walking encyclopedia of his sport.’
- ‘Bitton says the activists do have a role to play in the club - as walking encyclopedias, sources of information for the other side.’
- ‘It's very useful indeed to have friends who are like walking encyclopedias.’
- ‘There are people who are walking encyclopedias, but they make a mess of their lives.’
- ‘Don't act like you've never heard a swear word before, the lot of you are walking dictionaries.’
- ‘He is a walking encyclopedia of names, dates and facts relating to the history of the sport and the Hall of Fame.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.