Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A period of exercising a dog.‘while the client is being coiffed, one of the salon staff takes the pooch for walkies’
- ‘Buy a dog, but make sure it's not just for Christmas - remember, it's a lifetime of walkies, and whole world of new friendships.’
- ‘She lives in a plush Park Avenue apartment, has a maid and an ageing pooch that she takes for walkies every afternoon.’
- ‘Blood pressure is lowered by stroking dogs, and pets who drag their reluctant owners out for brisk 45-minute walkies are operating in accord with the WHO guidelines on physical exercise.’
- ‘Pet owners blessed with common sense may point out that one of the primary reasons for owning a dog is that all concerned can enjoy walkies.’
- ‘Time for walkies: Ann Jones takes a selection of gun dogs including springer spaniels, german pointers and Labradors for a stroll during the fair.’
- ‘Taking the corgis for walkies around Arthur's Seat, she spies giant cranes just across the street from Holyroodhouse.’
- ‘It is pleasing to see good citizens cleaning up after their dogs when they take them for walkies.’
- ‘He's been having plenty of long walkies, dinner leftovers and lots of TLC.’
- ‘A thorough brushing will dislodge ticks picked up during walkies, they add.’
- ‘They regularly take their dogs for early morning walkies at Thorndon North which is one of three Essex County Council managed parks in Brentwood.’
- ‘To avoid me going ‘stir crazy’, my brother borrowed a wheelchair and took me walkies.’
- ‘Your regular Friday afternoon guide to what is going on in local parks and along your usual walkies routes.’
- ‘Let's help make our beaches safe to go on and take dogs walkies this summer.’
- ‘He refuses to get the hang of going for his walkies.’
- ‘Most dogs seem to think that going for walkies, playing fetch, and guarding the house are Very Important Jobs.’
- ‘‘You are entitled to 1 ¼ hours daily for lunch and walkies,’ it states.’
- ‘The ‘Celebrity Big Brother’ star claims she doesn't care what she looks like when she takes her four dogs for walkies in Santa Monica.’
- ‘Houseboats and expensive terraced villas line the waterway, while well-heeled ladies take yappy canine triplets for walkies along the towpath.’
- ‘My baby has been shivering while I've been taking him for his walkies due to this current cold snap.’
- ‘But what have couch potatoes, a more active lifestyle, and walkies around the Seven Acres got to do with regenerating East Bolton?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.