One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person's occupation or position within society.‘the courses attracted people from all walks of life’
class, status, rank, caste, station, sphere, arena, area, domain, realmView synonyms
- ‘Queensland's hotline for the elderly fields calls from all walks of life and situations.’
- ‘They come from all walks of life and are directed by professional artists and production staff.’
- ‘This will result in the making of better professionals in every walk of life.’
- ‘In this job you get to know people from many walks of life and professions.’
- ‘It says the society welcomes people from all walks of life and backgrounds.’
- ‘That's the way it is in any walk of life, and this arena is no different.’
- ‘Some are accountants and professionals who have been involved in other walks of life.’
- ‘Retained firefighters come from all walks of life and are the lifeblood of the brigade in rural areas.’
- ‘They are anguished arguments and they take place in all classes and walks of life.’
- ‘In every walk of life, in every profession for hundreds of years, people have been looking to get an advantage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.