One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person's occupation or position within society.‘the courses attracted people from all walks of life’
class, status, rank, caste, station, sphere, arena, area, domain, realmView synonyms
- ‘Some are accountants and professionals who have been involved in other walks of life.’
- ‘This will result in the making of better professionals in every walk of life.’
- ‘They are anguished arguments and they take place in all classes and walks of life.’
- ‘That's the way it is in any walk of life, and this arena is no different.’
- ‘In this job you get to know people from many walks of life and professions.’
- ‘They come from all walks of life and are directed by professional artists and production staff.’
- ‘Retained firefighters come from all walks of life and are the lifeblood of the brigade in rural areas.’
- ‘In every walk of life, in every profession for hundreds of years, people have been looking to get an advantage.’
- ‘Queensland's hotline for the elderly fields calls from all walks of life and situations.’
- ‘It says the society welcomes people from all walks of life and backgrounds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.