One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Disease and death in forest trees in central Europe as a result of atmospheric pollution.‘the politicians of Europe were galvanized by Waldsterben unlike any environmental issue’
- ‘Back in the 80s I did several feature stories for American Forests Magazine on Waldsterben.’
- ‘Acid rain from fossil-fuel pollution damaged the forest that remained so much that the term Waldsterben (forest death) was coined a few decades ago.’
- ‘The main causes of the pollution responsible for Waldsterben are industrial plants and traffic.’
- ‘So the debate about what causes this deficiency has become central to the wider argument about Waldsterben.’
- ‘In the case of Waldsterben in central Europe, three types of symptoms typify the recent changes that have taken place in many species of trees under a wide variety of ecological conditions.’
1980s: from German, from Wald ‘forest’ + Sterben ‘death’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.