One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An involuntary dream occurring while a person is awake.
- ‘Viewed as the waking dream to Argento's later nightmare in Technicolor Suspiria, it is a one-two combination that many directors would sell their soul to call their own.’
- ‘As in a waking dream, the viewer is initiated into a nocturnal world where once familiar things induce apprehension in the viewer, offering a premonition of the unsettling events to come.’
- ‘The faces of those he has wronged haunt his waking dreams.’
- ‘After some hours Nora surfaces from her waking dream.’
- ‘Strange waking dreams - unless I'm asleep and dreaming of being awake, of course.’
- ‘The image of him on his deathbed, mouth partly open, half-lidded eyes staring up at me, haunted my sleeping and waking dreams.’
- ‘I became a little unbalanced on the subject: reading it resembled falling into a waking dream.’
- ‘The experience of writing for me is a waking dream.’
- ‘Antin has made a career of storytelling in films, photographs and performances that present engaging narratives of quests, masquerades and waking dreams.’
- ‘He creates waking dreams, much as Michel Gondry did with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and keeps them rooted strongly enough in reality that they never pull us out of the film.’
- ‘He slips easily into the skins of his characters, presenting them like waking dreams - vivid yet just beyond tangible.’
- ‘It has the hallucinatory, frightening quality of a waking dream.’
- ‘Psychedelic drugs, or hallucinogens, produce the equivalent of waking dreams.’
- ‘But once you're inside it, it's like a waking dream, evoking feelings you can't think of names for.’
- ‘That waking dream of flight and floating - it's something each of us physically understand.’
- ‘Sometimes these were waking dreams, almost like visions.’
- ‘I have found personally that my visualisations are more akin to waking dreams, the type that can be superimposed upon my conscious sight.’
- ‘There's the tangled web and fatalism of Cocteau's standard storyline, but the movie lacks the waking dream state of Cocteau's movies.’
- ‘I used to tell my mother of a dream I had - a waking dream.’
- ‘Eventually he begins having waking dreams of his lover.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.