Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sport of riding on a short, wide board resembling a surfboard and performing acrobatic manoeuvres while being towed behind a motor boat.
- ‘Kite surfing fuses some of the skills of surfing, wind surfing and wakeboarding.’
- ‘Palmer has won Winter X-Games events in snow boarding, mountain biking, extreme skiing, and wakeboarding.’
- ‘Why not try your hand at a spot of water-skiing or wakeboarding at Pine Lake Watersports, which offers lessons to people of all abilities.’
- ‘From wakeboarding, to kiteboarding, to windsurfing and even sailing, the Blue Lagoon Windsurfing Club is brings a wide range of water sports for people of all ages.’
- ‘A hybrid of water-skiing, surfing and snowboarding, wakeboarding is a relatively new sport to these shores and the annual competition is in its fifth year.’
- ‘It's like, well, what snow-boarding is to snow-skiing, wakeboarding is to water-skiing.’
- ‘As well as water-skiing, the centre would offer a host of other water sports, including wakeboarding, kayaking, canoeing, rowing, sailing and windsurfing.’
- ‘The increase is assumed to be due to boat owners making the most of the opportunity for water-skiing and wakeboarding before the 10 mph speed limit is introduced.’
- ‘Eight years ago I saw wakeboarding featured on an extreme-sports show.’
- ‘On offer at this little slice of heaven is water-skiing, wakeboarding, and knee boarding.’
- ‘But while Lewis likes skiing and will teach it if asked, wakeboarding is the sport of the future, he said.’
- ‘A world leader in the fast-growing sport of wakeboarding, Shaun Murray is one of seven professional riders featured in the game.’
- ‘But, all too often, it is used as a stepping stone to conventional skis or wakeboarding and the skill of kneeboarding is taken no further.’
- ‘Bessinger says arm strength is important in wakeboarding because like water-skiing you're pulled behind a boat and every movement you make is centered on your arms and upper body reacting to the boat.’
- ‘Kitesurfing evolved in the mid-1990s out of other extreme water sports, combining the most exciting elements of windsurfing and wakeboarding and taking them to vastly greater heights.’
- ‘According to Spitzner, new participants see rallying as an ‘extreme sport,’ like wakeboarding and snowboarding.’
- ‘Now, wakeboarding isn't the most recognized of the extreme sports, but it is certainly one of the more exciting and visceral ones.’
- ‘Thus, the issue of whether wakeboarding is a high-risk sport and what the frequency of injury is could not be determined from the present study.’
- ‘Invented in 1979 by Tony Finn in California, wakeboarding was the water sport of the 1990s and is now the fastest growing board sport in the world.’
- ‘There are numerous magazines and Web sites devoted to wakeboarding, and both amateur and professional wakeboarders compete in various tournaments, national and world championships.’
1990s: from wake, on the pattern of surfboarding.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.